Hives are flat, low bumps on your skin which itches like crazy and form a rash. Hives are your bodys reaction to an allergen. Simply saying, its something which is in or on your body which your body doesnt like. Thus, your body releases histamine to fight the allergen. Hives are a bodys reaction to the histamine. How to get rid of hives if is what you are thinking of, then there are some things you could do to get rid of it and relieve the symptoms.
Symptoms of Hives
Symptoms of hives are caused due to histamine release from mast cells that exist deep within the skin. Common hives symptoms include:
1. Sudden start, skin or red colored welts that resemble mosquito bites.
2. Itching, welts commonly last for about 24 hours
3. Itching, welts commonly last for about 24 hours
4. Angioedema i.e. swelling of lips, face, and tongue
1. Take a cold shower twice or thrice a day, unless, your hives are brought on by the cold. You could apply a pack of ice to the affected area if you couldnt stand the idea of a cold shower.
2. Maintain a daily food journal as this might help you to narrow down the causes of your hives. Some common foods which cause hives include shellfish, nuts and tomatoes.
3. Always check for bug bites or stings as at times hives are caused by an allergic reaction to a bug bite.
4. Try in removing the stress from your life as it could trigger hives. Perform some deep breathing exercises, remove yourself from stressful situations or find a relaxation technique which works for you.
5. Ask your doctor for suggestions as he/she might be able to provide you with some tips or medication to help you avoid hives.
6. Take anti histamine such as Benadryl or Claritin. An epicene could treat extreme cases of hives.
Hives can be controlled by avoiding heat, keeping the temperature of the skin cool; staying away from alcohol as it causes flushing of the skin, by trying not to scratch affected areas and by wearing loose clothes that doesnt put pressure on the skin.
Some Home remedies for hives treatment:
1. An application of cool compression could help to provide some respite from itching and pain of hives. Application of calamine lotion is useful up to a certain extent in hives. This is very helpful, particularly in itching and is one of the good home remedies for hives.
2. One of the most vital factors is soothing the nerves as stress makes the hives worse. Drinking peppermint tea calms down the disposition and hives too. You could also try drinking valerian or chamomile tea to soothe your nerves as this would help in healing hives.
3. An application of aloe vera is time tested and effective home remedy for hives. You could use the pulp of aloe or a cream comprising aloe on the affected area. This herb has the property to heal skin disease.
4. Vitamin E oil is also valuable for healing hives. Apply this oil at least twice a day for better results.